The inspiration for this sample was a photo of the Canadian Tundra : Tundra Polygons
from ‘The Kingdom of the Ice Bear – a book full of inspiration – by Hugh Miles and Mike Salisbury, also a BBC Series in about 1984.
Two pieces of polyester organza, various bits of similar fabric in different colours plus lurex and a plasticcy peacock fabric. Instead of using 505 (I don’t get on with it very well) I have used Super Mend powder on everything except the Angelina pieces.
This sample is based on the photo of Lindisfarne on p.6, using random Superior, Natesh ombres, Madeira metallics in machine patterns on polyester organza.
This sample is based on the photo of the Cone Nebula (p.15). It uses polyester organza, black net with sparkles, a black net ‘ribbon’ with a gold embroidery insert with added pieces of silk carrier rods and peach net on top. Free machining in Natesh peach ombre and pale copper metallic. Machine patterns in copper metallic, plus light and dark random metallics.
The net ribbon was not as effective as I hoped, the gold did not show through.
This sample is based on the photo above from the book Windows.
Polyester organza, metallic sheer and silver leaf (all I could get). Cable stitch using metallic knitting yarn on bobbins. Black metallic top thread was fine, but green Alcazar kept breaking, so I used a DMC 30 machine thread instead.
For some reason, I expected the metallic fabric to melt at the same temperature as the organza. It didn’t, so there are holes in the bottom, but not the top, however it is nicely warped!
Two of the inside sheets of a paper napkin with green, blue and silver angelina between them.
Left over bits of Angelina
Although the holes seem to be mostly over the silver bits, the darker colours make shadows showing through the paper.
This not Angelina, we don’t know what it is apart from the fact that it is man-made and does not fuse together when ironed, unless sprinkled with Supermend first. It is rainbow coloured and resembles wool tops, so is fine for needlefelting. Someone found it in a box and brought it into the class to be shared.
This is lay-out paper painted with Acrylic Wax and folded round some of the rainbow fibres. It is stitched with black ombre Natesh, and sections are torn away to reveal the fibres beneath.