Edges using Automatic Patterns.
Fabric: Muslin and Extra heavy-weight dissolvable film
Threads: Purple/pink Natesh and Silver-grey anon. Pattern 55
Edges using Free Embroidery
Fabric: Dyed Polycotton twill and Romeo heavy-weight dissolvable film
Threads: Pink Fibralene (polyester), Blue and Purple Ombre Natesh
Free machining using Whip/Feather stitch on a grid.
Fabric: Dyed Polycotton Twill with Romeo dissolvable. Machine pattern 4o
Threads: Two green Natesh and Silver-grey anon. Several rows of pattern 40 on a grid with added free machining.
Edging developed from a Tattoo Feather design with complememting machine pattern.
Fabric: Polyester twill and Romeo dissolvable. Machine pattern 56
Threads: Black/White Natesh and Red and Silver-grey anon
Fabric: Polyester furnishing fabric and Romeo dissolvable. Machine patterns 42, 44 & 54 plus Straight stitch
Threads: Variegated Natesh and Plain Anon
Grids using Straight Stitch
Romeo dissolvable. Pink Fibralene and Anon rayon threads using Straight stitch, Utility stitch 3, zig-zag and Satin stitch blobs.
Romeo dissolvable. Grid using Machine Pattern 49.
Threads: Purple Fibralene and Yellow Ombre Coats
Romeo dissolvable. Free machine grid with added free maching: granite, eather and whip stitches.
Threads: Grid – purple Fibralene, stitching Purple ombre Natesh and Yellow ombre Coats
Motifs on Water soluble
Romeo dissolvable, Purple Fibralene, Natesh Blue Ombre and anon Navy
Grid stitches: machine pattern 21 and utility 3. Motifs: satin and granite stitches.
The motif is the Long-tailed Tit from Ch. 1.
I thought I had gone over everything at least twice, but there are still a few holes.
Stand alone Motif
Exercise 10 Feathers Romeo dissolvable
I have to say I really love these although I daresay there are things I could have done better.
L to R:
- Natesh lilac ombre with invisible thread on bobbin. I thought if the invisible thread worked, I wouldn’t have to change the bobbin every time I changed the top thead. However, it took a lot more washing, is hard, and can stick out.
- Natesh variegated top and bottom.
- Coats ombre top and bottom.
- 5 & 6 Natesh ombre top and bottom. These three were based on the Tattoo feathers rather than actual feathers. They weren’t as spectacular after they had been washed as I hoped, but they are still lovely. Some of this is due to the lovely colours.
Soluble paper. Bird prints
Turquoise: Lino cut of Inuit goose. Red: Mouse mat of Sutton Hoo Raven foot. Green: Mouse mat of Nene from Ch. 1. This design is printed on ordinary paper using Koh-i-nor.
This is the design printed on Aquabond soluble paper using Liquitex and Daler acylics very thickly.
Grid: invisible thread using an 80 needle.
Threads: Natesh variegated, Anon red and green.
This is an out-of-focus photo of a disaster. It does not deserve any better, but I’m sorry if it makes you dizzy.
Years ago, when it was first available, we tried water-soluble plastic with Sandra. We discovered that the thin stuff worked OK double, but all of it dissolved better in warm water plus a little detergent. Romeo reacts well to this treatment, as the above experiments show. The Aquabond paper does not. You can still see the paper on the invisible thread, but the acrylics hve washed away where they did not have stitching, so presumably, if you are using acrylics, you can’t use detergent.
I tried using the paper to transfer designs onto fabric. The design is the one I used on the bag for Module 3.
Polycotton stitched with Anon Navy rayon.
The instruction leaflet suggested it worked well on velvet, so I thought I would try this: stretch polyester velvet with Anon Red rayon.
These two samples were also washed using detergent and seem to have worked OK, so I might use the paper to transfer a design, but for something freestanding, I would use Romeo or something similar.
Sticky water-soluble paper: Aquabond sticky
This was very different: Aquabond sticky and very heavy-weight dissolvable film.
In the sandwich: snippets of sheers, lurex, silk, lining materials and multicoloured fibres. The stitching on top is wholly executed using a Flower Stitch foot with variegated Natesh and Madeira threads plus a matt finish Madeira. The variations in the circles are achieved by using a mid-width zig-zag and machine patterns 39, 46, 83 and 89 in different size circles which changes the shapes of the flowers.
In the sandwich: wool and silk fibres and split carrier rods.
Natesh variegated threads, machine pattern 85 and free straight stitch.
I really liked these, and would do something similar again: the Aquabond sticky is a great find.