Chapter 9: Assessment Piece – Samples

Standard

86

Chapter 8 086

87

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Revised Bag shape

88

Chapter 9 088

As suggested, I have adjusted the shape, and added compartments where they might work. I shall not make a paper mock-up, but a toile instead as the compartments won’t work in paper.  Also, I think an invisible, purchased catch will not detract from the motif as much as a hand-made one might.

89

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Microwaved Fabrics:

(L to R) Poly/cotton sheeting, Polycotton twill, Wool and Viscose felt

90

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Threads and Piping cord

91

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Threads for making up cord – Passementerie yarns (viscose) and silk/wool thread

92

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Cord sample and multi-coloured thread including gold and blue, used to stitch the cord.

93

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

20 metres of cord for edging and strap

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Stitched threads L to R:  Madeira 40 1278, 1297, 1029, 2036, 1467, 2022.

Mettler Silk Finish 9812; Superior Rainbow 835; Coronation Silk Fast Colour*

* This was amongst some threads turned out by a down-sizing friend.

94

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Print Block – a simplified form of the flap motif

95

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Printed paper

96

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Printed fabric

97

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Printing on plain blue poly/cotton

(I found the poly/cotton when I was looking for something else, and decided to use it for the samples as it is about the same weight as my dyed fabrics).

98

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Pintucks on poly/cotton with machine pattern

There is too sharp a curve on the top sample, the curves on the large motif work better

(see page 103)

99

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Printed fabric with pintucks and machine pattern.

The machine pattern is a similar shape to the motif.  I did try using a twin needle to stitch the pattern – I used this idea successfully on my previous Bernina, but I think this pattern is too complicated and it didn’t work – see top right.  I would print on the fabric to be used for the front of the bag, leaving enough space between the rows to work two rows of pintucks alternating with two rows of pattern instead of the one of each shown here.  (I hope to use the  machine pattern to stitch the pieces together, before adding the cord).  The idea is to unify the whole bag by using pintucks on each separate piece.

100Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Pintucks on sheer (some cheap curtaining I found in Minehead while on holiday).

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Polyester organza, not sure about the bobbin thread showing.

101

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

This didn’t melt very well.

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

This was a better proposition

102

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Melted sheer over curved pintucks

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Melted sheer over straight pintucks.

I came to the conclusion that I didn’t really like the sheer (melted or otherwise) over the worked surface as it would obscure the dyed fabric.  On the other hand, the idea of using a dyed or plain poly/cotton as a visible stabiliser for the organza would produce a pretty result.  (Note to self: Party Bag for Granddaughter’s un-Birthday present?)

103

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Stitched sample motif

  • I drew the motif onto the cotton soft, but it was invisible through the poly/cotton, so I used this sheer.
  • I hadn’t made up my mind about the sheer when I did this, and there wasn’t a lot of the plain organza left, so I kept it in case I needed it.
  • Again, in order to unify the piece, I used pintucks on the edges.
  • I have a 6mm twin needle so I used that on one side, and worked two rows with the 3mm on the other side.  I preferred the definition of the two rows.
  • The multi-coloured thread is used on the bottom of the cross-hatched shape.  Originally, both shapes were going to be single hatched, but I didn’t like the multi-colour, so I cross-hatched with the navy blue.
  • This helped put a darker, heavier weight onto the bottom of the motif, which is what I wanted.
  • I like the whip stitch top and bottom, but wonder whether the introduction of the green and mauve Superior thread works (is it an unnecessary distraction although I really like it), or would the Mettler blue random be better, although I intend to use it for all the hatching.
Advertisements

Chapter 8: Assessment Piece – Planning

Standard

Chapter 8 079

Chapter 8 080.jpg

Chapter 8 081

When it came to considering the Bag idea, I discovered that I already knew what I wanted to do, although up to that moment, I had not been absolutely sure.  (The Curate is having a baby in October, so I shall make SuperBird for a Christmas present).

Chapter 8 082.jpg

Chapter 8 083

Chapter 8 084

85

Planning SheetChapter 8 085

Chapter 7: Design Development

Standard

Chapter 7 053

 

P.54

Chapter 7 054

(I decided I liked it better.)

P. 55Chapter 7 055

P. 56Chapter 7 056.jpg

The small distortion, (top above) turned out to be off a sword pommel cap.

Staffordshire Hoard, p. 25.

Chapter 7 057

Chapter 7 058

Chapter 7 059

Using Comuter Programs

60

Chapter 7 64

Bird Wing as Kaleidoscope (PaintShop)

61

Chapter 7 61

Bird Wing Rippled.

62

Chapter 7 62

Bird Wing twirled

Chapter 7 063.jpg

Chapter 7 064

Chapter 7 065

Chapter 7 066

Chapter 7 067

Chapter 7 068.jpg

69

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Tiled distortion

70

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Twirled distortion

71Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Warp distortion

I printed most of the distortions off, and also enlarged the top of the original tracing.  I tried isolating sections of two, and have earmarked the one above as a possible candidate for the use in the assessment piece.

72

Chapter 7 072

73

Chapter 7 073

74

Chapter 7 074

75

Chapter 7 075.jpg

76

Chapter 7 076.jpg

77

Chapter 7 077

78

Chapter 7 078