Chapter 3. Bound Edges

Standard

Page 27.

Bound Edges.

  

As a technical exercise, this worked well.  Aesthetically, a bit of a disaster: 1) I have a bag of pieces marked ‘For Samples’ but there was a dearth of big enough plain pieces, hence the woven towel edge.  2) I didn’t give enough thought to where the different patterns would come.

Bound Edge with Pintucks.

  

This was better – I thought properly first!

Page 28

I used the polyester satin for the pintucks (Bernina is very happy and produces a nice regular result).  Having had some trouble with the Natesh threads (you may NOT laugh): they don’t like long periods of use on big pieces of work, they have been relegated to a box labelled ‘For Samples’ as they are fine for small pieces.  I used two different pink ombre top threads for the pintucks and a plain red in the darkest shade for the pattern on the fabric edge.  (This is calico with a stencilled mask using a diffuser.)  I liked the result.

Burnt  Edges.

These also worked well and I particularly liked the green one before I cut the middles out, it looked like three little rugs.

Christmas is coming (No, no, help!) and I found some black Kunin felt with silver sparkles – can’t remember what I bought it for, so I used red and green threads.

I have an Antex Craft FabricMaster heat tool with seven tips, I used one with a tip like a big ball-point pen, which went through the felt like the proverbial hot knife!  It took longer to heat up.

Page 29

  

Page 30

  

Felt Fringe – two things:

a) Stitching too close together

b) Sheer seems to be cotton: refused to melt or burn

This, on the other hand, was only too happy to melt.

   

Burnt sheers edge.

Sheers stitched onto transfer printed fabric and blasted with heat tool.

Page 31

Corded Edges.

 

I don’t have a Cording Foot, so I used the Overlocker Foot instead.  Not very easy to get round a corner with it – I probably should buy a Cording Foot if I’m going to need it a lot.

Procion-dyed flannel with soft cotton, perle and a procion-dyed boucle thread.

Knotted string.

Gimp.

Page 32

Lettuce Edges

  

Swimsuit (!) fabric

Fine printed jersey

Stretch velvet

I don’t seem to be able to produce a good Lettuce edge.  I used Foot 2, the overlock foot again.

I’ll give it another go with the layers.

Page 35

‘Painted’ kitchen roll and free machined felt

  

Automatic patterns on linen

  

Cut out

Mounted onto cotton twill

Page 36

Air-brushed calico

Purple twill with knotted braid

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Felt with Eyelets

Page 37

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Laced Eyelets in calico

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Buttonholes with sheer cords

Page 38

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Diagonal buttonholes with sheer cords

Digimax A50 / KENOX Q2

Layered edges with automatic patterns

I found that the Lettuce Edges were totally beyond me and both of the machines, which was a pity, as I liked the look of them a lot.  Life caught up with me a bit, so it is now 2016, but I did manage a start on some of the bits for Chapter 4.

Advertisements

Interim Pieces

Standard

These are a few pictures from the hanging project for the school.

Four of the tabs (one of each colour).

Close-up of three of them:  when I have made bag straps previously, I have always put rows of decorative stitching on them to strengthen them and to keep them from creasing up, so I did the same with these tabs.

They all have velcro on the loose end so that they can be looped over the wall bars.

Crown of Thorns

This is Lilian Dring’s Crown of Thorns on the Passiontide Chasuble.

(Incidentally, there is no published book, only my scrapbook of Lilian Dring’s work.  We have the largest collection of her ecclesiastical embroidery here at St. Mark’s Church in Surbiton, where I sing in the choir.  Sandra Hurll’s workshop members came to see them one day, and she took a lot of very good photos of them.  This is one.)

  

This is my version of the idea, for the purple hanging.  I used a more complicated Maltese Cross for the original shape, which does not have the holly inference of the original, as I think that might have been lost on the children, whereas this is very immediately spiky and painful.

  

The colour is not very good, but looks better in practice.  The nails are silver tissue, the crown is not the leather of the original, but shiny black lycra which has bondaweb and silver thread zigzagged round.

Stitched leaves.

  

I painted several leaves with acrylic wax and tried stitching on this one; it didn’t really work.  Pity.