I went on the familiarisation day at Bernina, and although most of the day was really revising what I already knew, the 30 minutes or so that weren’t were so useful, I am very glad I went.
I made the card this afternoon, using the new information about the free machining. The Aquarium still has to be mounted, but is for the Branch exhibition in October, and uses some of the patterns.
by buying titanium-coated topstitch needles, I am now faced with another. The 380 doesn’t seem to like stitching anything that isn’t ‘plain sewing’. I made a skirt, and it behaved perfectly, but it does not seem keen on some of the patterns even if the top and bottom threads are off the same reel. It’s as though the top tension is permanently too tight, even when slacked off twice: the bobbin thread is visible, sometimes to the extent of reducing the top thread to invisibility, or to a narrow strip down the centre of a pattern using buttonhole stitch. Fortunately, I am going on the Bernina day course on Wednesday, so I shall take the examples with me (see Chapter 2 plus some from Chapter 4 – not yet on the blog), and ask for some advice. A return to the shop may be necessary. What a bore.
These are some of the fabrics I found which are suitable for transfer dyeing, and some natural fibres, which were to hand. I do have rather a lot (probably not a surprise), but these were in the top boxes.
I have stitched the same little design (I drew round an Indian print block), the outline with the straight stitch foot on, and the rest with the free machine/darning foot. The tension was obviously not right, but I didn’t alter it. As this is a new machine, I thought I would wait until I had done the familiarisation course before I did any radical ‘playing’ with it.
This section has photographs of me painting the paper, (I will ask Sandra H to verify it is me)
Polycotton with either paper or fabric folded (can’t remember which)
Satin paper crumpled before ironing,
Felt (same sheet as Polycotton)
Sheet with printing (could be useful)
Polycotton lace mask
Polycotton under net
Notes from Sandra Meech Course
and the trial on poly-cotton/polyester stitching. I was surprised, for some reason I didn’t expect the dye to ‘take’. The other scans are various examples of fabrics from earlier workshops, most of them either with Sandra Meech or Sandra Hurll.
After this afternoon’s little display, I am considering gradual replacement with Madeira or others.
My Bernina 1015 was perfectly happy with them, although my elder daughter and the Workshop tutor (I have been attending this workshop for over 20 years on and off) have both had trouble with them. So did I today until, in a strop, I changed the needle for a Titanium one from an introductory pack. Working on the principle that a couple of packets of needles are cheaper than replacing 20 or so reels of thread, I went on line and ordered them straight away while I was still mad.
What I see through the window
Embroidered Caskets (Mary Gamester) & Indian Dyes
Shoes from Marrakech &
Primary Colourplay (Helen Deighan)
Darcey Bussell (Alan Jones) & Down at the Harbour (Lynne Walters)
Akha Hilltribe & coloured pens
Books & Hergest Croft Garden
I hope this works, it ended up in the wrong blog a couple of minutes ago.